I am a professional laptop and computer troubleshooter, tech editor who loves to talk about technology and software. My passion is electronics devices. Follow me...Read more
Coming across a picture with very poor quality can be quite frustrating, right? A photo that looks great on a smartphone may not always look the same on a computer. But, why does it happen? Well, it’s because the image doesn’t have the correct DPI.
Mac is quite popular for graphic design and photo editing, especially due to its excellent hardware. So, if you often use Mac to edit photos, you need to know how to find DPI in your image on Mac without breaking a sweat.
To find the DPI of any image, first, open the image in Preview and go to Tools > Adjust Size. The DPI is titled Resolution on Mac devices.
So let’s dig a bit deeper to explore the whole term!!!
What Is DPI?
DPI is an abbreviation for “Dots Per Inch“. This is a printing phrase that refers to the number of printed dots in one inch of your printed paper. This term is often used to determine the quality and resolution of a picture or image.
Because DPI is not data that the normal user meets in their daily job, you must open the image details to obtain this information.
Alternatively, you can use any picture editing software like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP to obtain this information as well.
Read along to find out the details.
How To Find The DPI Of An Image On Mac?
When you’re using a Mac, you may check an image’s DPI using the built-in Preview software. Here’s what you need to do.
- Go to the file’s location in the Finder file management program. The file may then be opened in Preview by right-clicking it and selecting Open With > Preview.
- Click Tools > Show Inspector in the Preview box.
- The picture DPI can be shown as Image DPI in the data list supplied.
Check the DPI of an Image With Adobe Photoshop
Photoshop, the definitive image editing program for many experts, allows you to check the DPI of a picture at any time. Follow these steps to find it out.
- In Photoshop, open the image you wish to work with.
- Select the Picture tab from the menu bar.
- You may also get to this menu by hitting Alt + Shift + I on your keyboard.
- The Resolution value may be found under the Document Size tab.
- That is your DPI; simply ensure that the units in the drop-down choice next to it are Pixels/Inch.
Check the DPI of an Image With Procreate
Procreate is quite a sophisticated software, but it’s not that hard to use. So, how do you use it to find out an image DPI?
Here are the steps once more:
- In the top menu bar, select the “Actions” tab. This is the one that resembles a wrench.
- Select “Canvas” from the menu.
- Select “Canvas Info” from the “Canvas” option at the bottom.
- Select dimensions from the “Canvas Info” option.
- Your DPI will be listed at the bottom of the list of canvas measurements.
Check the DPI of an Image Using GIMP
Photoshop may not be the most accessible tool for the majority of people due to its high price. That is why many people use GIMP, a free and open-source photo editing program. It also tells you how high the DPI resolution of your image is.
- In GIMP, open the image you wish to work with.
- Click the Image tab from the top menu, just as you would in Photoshop.
- Now select Scale Image from the drop-down menu.
- Select the pixels/in option from the drop-down menu next to the X and Y resolution settings.
- The DPI of the picture is now displayed in the resolution settings.
How To Check The DPI Of An Image On Windows
The simplest approach to verify an image’s DPI resolution is to use Windows File Explorer.
- Right-click on your image file and choose Properties.
- Select “Properties” from the menu.
- Select “Details” from the menu.
- Navigate to the picture portion of the box that appears and look for the “Horizontal Resolution” as well as “Vertical Resolution” values.
- You now have your DPI!
Adjust the DPI of an Image on Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word often changes the DPI while attaching pictures on a word file. So, you’ll need to adjust settings on Word to prevent it from compressing your photos. And you can do this for all of your documents, and not just the one you’re currently working on.
- Open a Word document and select “Word” from the top toolbar.
- Select “Preferences” from the menu.
- Select “Edit” from the menu.
- Scroll down to the section under “Image Size and Quality:
- Select “All New Documents” from the drop-down menu next to “Image Size and Quality.” If you don’t want this to apply to all of your papers, leave it selected for the one you’re now working on.
- Select “Do not compress pictures in the file” from the drop-down menu.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you calculate DPI?
An image DPI is determined by dividing the total number of horizontal dots by the total number of inches wide OR by dividing the amount of vertical dots by the overall number of inches high.
Do PNG files have DPI?
Yes. The DPI is specified as an optional header in the PNG standard. Two 4-byte integers in the PNG file indicate the pixels per meter of width and height, which may be translated to DPI by multiplying by 0.0254 meters/inch.
You can view the image’s DPI by going to image -> image attributes in GIMP, for example.
How do I change the DPI on JPG?
Open a bitmap picture in any format, such as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF. Choose Tools > Adjust Size. Set the data from the drop-down list, now click OK.
How Do You Check DPI on Your iPhone?
When you open the exported photo in Preview and select the Inspector from the Tools menu, you can now see the dpi numbers.
For example, this photo was exported at a resolution of 180 dpi. The pixel size, however, is more essential than the dpi. It will inform you of the photo’s excellence.
After reading the full content, I hope that you have got a basic piece of knowledge of how to find DPI in your image. It’s undoubtedly an important thing for an editor to know.
Understanding the definition of DPI is critical while printing. It’s all too simple to damage entire projects by editing at too cheap a quality or to obtain terrible prints by printing them larger than the printer can manage.
Wish you all the best for your next editing!